My sister is experiencing severe health problems and wants me to take custody of her children if she dies instead of her abusive ex-husband. How do I handle the legal and family drama that comes with this situation?
There are so many factors at play in your tragic family situation, it’s no wonder you question how you’re going to handle it all. Look to maximize your own personal strengths during this trying time. Take care of yourself. Tend to your own emotional needs. Nurture your spirit. Your sister certainly believes in you, otherwise she wouldn’t want to leave her children with you to raise when she’s gone. Whatever happens with custody of the children, you can certainly promise your sister you will always be there to help mother the children and keep her memory alive. What an honor she is bestowing on you. You must be (you are!) an amazing person!
Unleash your Personal Power!
Ask yourself these Life Coaching questions:
- What can you do each day to help soothe your sadness over your sister?
- Can you accept that showing and experiencing your sadness is natural and healing?
- Is your sister well enough to help you make a plan for the children?
- Can you both accept that you will do your best to follow the plan?
- If legal custody does not fall to you, what can you do to still be there for the children?
- How have you successfully dealt with things in your life that did not go as planned?
- What personal strengths can you draw on to “accept the things you cannot change”?
- What can you do to remind yourself that, regardless of what happens, you “have done the best you could”?
Join the Conversation: How would you handle a similar situation?
Follow Joan’s Life Coaching questions Daily at www.joanjerkovich.com
Joan Jerkovich is a Board Certified Life Coach who takes your questions on Relationships, Health, Careers, Sexuality and Self Care. No question is off limits! She gives her opinion, then partners with you by submitting Life Coaching questions that will help you move toward health and happiness in your life. Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or arrange a time to talk with Joan in person on her radio talk show at www.joanjerkovich.com