My parents are getting older, and I’m expected to take care of them. My friends say I’m heartless if I put them in a nursing home. I feel obligated to care for them in my own home, but I know both of us would be miserable (work, personalities, etc.). Is it acceptable to let them live in an assisted living facility?
You’ve answered your own question by saying you would both be miserable. Plus, who needs enemies when you have friends that lay a guilt trip on you like this one? To care for an elderly parent in your home is a 24-hour daily commitment. Few people are up to the task. I speak with a degree of authority on this, as in my former life before my talk radio show and Life Coaching; my work was in Assisted Living.
As an alternative to having them live in your home, consider carving out extra time to visit them at the Assisted Living facility. Incorporate activities in to your visits that you both enjoy. When you don’t have the demands of being the person who tends to their daily care needs, you can focus on making your time together enriching to your relationship and extended family. Have fun together!
Unleash your Personal Power with Life Coaching~
- Do you have within you the personal power to tell your “friends” to keep their opinions to themselves (or to F-off, the choice is yours)?
- How can you address your own feelings of guilt?
- What do you need to do to tamp them down?
- Have you had problems dealing with guilt over other issues in life?
- How have you dealt with guilt from past issues?
- If you’ve had success in resolving issues of guilt from your past, how can you apply those principles to this issue?
Joan Jerkovich is a Board Certified Life Coach who takes your questions on Relationships, Health, Careers, Sexuality and Self Care. No question is off limits! She gives her opinion, then partners with you by submitting Life Coaching questions that will help you move toward health and happiness in your life. Email your questions to email@example.com or arrange a time to talk with Joan in person on her radio talk show at www.joanjerkovich.com