I grew up in foster care. I never had a permanent family for more than two years. People were always in and out of my life. I almost gave up on getting too emotionally involved with anyone. How do I learn to trust that people will be there for me when no one ever stuck around?
When your trust in others has been as stripped down as you share in your story, you have to take yourself to the root of all trust, which is trust in yourself. Trust that you can emotionally handle this ebb and flow of people in your life. Trust that there will be times of stable relationships and times of turmoil, these too you can emotionally deal with. When you trust yourself to make the best decisions you can and trust that you can effectively deal with the rewards or consequences that come with those decisions, you are on your path to building and growing as a person. You will make a better life for yourself. Believe that and you have already succeeded!
Embrace your Personal Power with Life Coaching~
- Recall a time when you made a decision you were proud of.
- Review in your mind the steps you took toward making that decision.
- What comes to mind when you look within yourself regarding trust?
- If there are negatives (and there will be) can you set those aside?
- Focusing only on the positive attitudes you have regarding trust, can you make a list of ways you can keep your “eye on the prize”, keep the positives your primary goal?
- Have you done research on how you can build trust (books, internet)?
- Will you schedule time each day to work on building you inner trust?
Joan Jerkovich is a Board Certified Life Coach who takes your questions on Relationships, Health, Careers, Sexuality and Self Care. No question is off limits! She gives her opinion, then partners with you by submitting Life Coaching questions that will help you move toward health and happiness in your life. Email your questions to email@example.com or arrange a time to talk with Joan in person on her radio talk show at www.joanjerkovich.com
Follow Joan’s Life Coaching questions Daily at www.joanjerkovich.com