I’ve been in my job for 14 years and I’d love to leave but this is the only type of work I know. I don’t have extra education and am tired of my boss being so demeaning to me and other people I work with. I feel trapped. What can I do?
When staying in the same place in life gets too painful, you will make a change. This applies to a bad marriage, addiction or dissatisfactory job. Is your unhappiness at work affecting other areas of your life? Do you come home from work only to bark at your family members? Do you dread going to work every day? Has your unhappiness in this area of your life kept you from enjoying your friends, hobbies and other things you used to enjoy? If so, you are wise to take steps toward change.
Leaving a job of 14 years is scary, but don’t let your fear take away your chance for living a fuller, happier life. Plan for your escape to minimize your anxiety over making this huge change. Now put on your ninja warrior suit, grab your nunchucks, and fight for the change you deserve!
Embrace your Personal Power with Life Coaching~
- If you could show up tomorrow at your perfect job, what would that be? Write this vision out in detail.
- What steps would you need to take to make your vision of your ideal job a reality?
- What excuses for making this change have you been making?
- What arguments can you make for refuting those excuses?
- On a scale of 1-5, how do you rate your motivation for taking those steps to make this change?
- If your motivation scale is near the top, how can you hold your “feet to the fire” to keep moving toward getting your dream job?
Joan Jerkovich is a Board Certified Life Coach who takes your questions on Relationships, Health, Careers, Sexuality and Self Care. No question is off limits! She gives her opinion, then partners with you by submitting Life Coaching questions that will help you move toward health and happiness in your life. Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org or arrange a time to talk with Joan in person on her radio talk show at www.joanjerkovich.com
Follow Joan’s Life Coaching questions Daily at www.joanjerkovich.com